Re: SMTP 500 Line too long

2008-10-27 13:35:18

Ivar Lumi wrote:

Hi,

After fast look on RFC 5321, i don't see exact place what describes how to handle "500 Line too long".

Must server junk bytes(if max line exceeded) and try to read CRLF, after that returns "500 Line too long".
or
Must server send "500 Line too long" straight away.

Thanks.

Ivar, take a look at the actual transaction. I seem to recall this being an erroneous response (by the some server, MS Exchange if I recall?) related to NOOP.

I don't recall the details, but Google "NOOP Line too Long"

Here are few references:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-smtp/mail-archive/msg04155.html
http://www.imc.org/ietf-smtp/mail-archive/msg04156.html

--