transaction commands, errors and 'same state'

2009-05-07 22:48:50

I was reviewing 5321 and I see that it states for HELO/EHLO and MAIL
that if there is an error, that the server must stay in the same state
(section 4.1.4). This paragraph starts talking about MAIL (well, I
think it is):

If the transaction beginning command argument is not acceptable, a 501
failure reply MUST be returned and the SMTP server MUST stay in the
same state.  If the commands in a transaction are out of order to the
degree that they cannot be processed by the server, a 503 failure reply
MUST be returned and the SMTP server MUST stay in the same state.

but the last sentence seems to be talking about RCPT & DATA and only
says stay in the same state regarding command sequence. But an error
for RCPT should also keep the server in the 'same state' too, right?
Perhaps this is mentioned else where, but the words 'same state' are
only used in section 4.1.4.

Would clarifying this be acceptable? Or am I nit picking?

--
Jeff Macdonald
jmacdonald(_at_)e-dialog(_dot_)com