DATA Pipelining

2009-12-25 23:01:35

Hi all,

Just writing a minimal implementation of SMTP here to serve a very specific
need, that of gatewaying news articles, and have wondered how to handle the
DATA phase with regard to pipelined text.  As I see it, there is no reason not
to pipeline both the message text lines and the final dot, because nothing is
expected from the server and until the dot is received there is no change of
state other than the accumulation of the DATA buffer.  But I also know there
are implementations out there which don't like it when a command is incomplete,
and try to respond to whatever is in their TCP buffer, and wondered if anybody
knew how that might work for the final dot if it were stuffed at the end of
some text.

Is there any specific guidance anywhere on this?  I tried RFC 2920 already.  I
really don't want to send each individual line as a single send, and I'm pretty
sure that's not necessary or even common.  I do know sendmail saves its final
dot for a final send, though.

Cheers,
Sabahattin