draft-macdonald-antispam-registry and Subject code 8

2010-09-14 16:21:38

Hi all,

In my draft, I add a new subject code of 8. Seems controversial. It is
introduced in section 2,  "Introducing the Anti-Spam Subject". Before
commenting, please read RFC 3463.

In section 2 of RFC 3463, there is this sentence:

   A client must recognize and report class sub-code even where
   subsequent subject sub-codes are unrecognized.

I realize "must" here isn't MUST, but it seems logical to me that one
would code their system to handle unknown subject sub-codes.

Even before that, the following paragraph makes it pretty clear that
additional subject codes should be expected:

   New subject and detail codes will be added over time.  Because the
   number space is large, it is not intended that published status codes
   will ever be redefined or eliminated.  Clients should preserve the
   extensibility of the code space by reporting the general error
   described in the subject sub-code when the specific detail is
   unrecognized.

So, with that, I can not see what controversy there could be.

--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA