Re: Mail Data termination

2011-08-20 15:07:27

On 18/08/2011 22:56, ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
But more to the point, you're talking about very different time regimes here. Caching a connection for anything even close to five minutes is almost certainly counterproductive - SMTP connection establishment isn't *that* difficult. But holding on to a connection for just a few seconds can be quite beneficial for systems handling high volumes of mail.

I'm with Hector on this. I really don't like the idea of a sender keeping a connection open 'just in case'.

If it keeps it open for 10 seconds 'just in case', and no new mail arrives so it has to close the connection, what has that achieved other than extra load on the receiver? Why wouldn't it then say 'well, another message may arrive in the next few seconds, so I'll keep it open just a bit longer', and so on.

If the sender doesn't like closing and opening connections, then surely it's just as beneficial for the sender to wait 10 seconds before starting to send a message, then if another message to the same destination arrives within that 10 seconds, it can batch them up without adding unnecessary load to the receiver.

It just seems selfish for the sender to say 'I'm so important that I'm going to hog one of the receiver's channels just in case someone else wants to send a message to them, so the sender doesn't have to wait a few seconds longer'.