Re: [ietf-smtp] Compressing SMTP streams

2016-01-29 01:12:53
On 1/28/16 1:42 PM, Brandon Long wrote:
2) message sizes are increasing, but base64 isn't going away

Are they?

It's an honest question; you have vastly better data to work from than I do. But I have not seen much growth in message size once we got past the bump from plain text to HTTP, and the occasional bump from another vendor adding more cruft to the header. Attachments can be large, but the user community seems to have generally accepted that Email isn't an appropriate transport for "large" things and tends to avoid it. The most common attachment types also are not compressible: PDF, JPEG, pkzip.

The exceptions can be spectacular; I see marketing types Emailing 150MB powerpoint files every day, and those seem to be quite compressible. But as annoying as they can be, they do seem to be the exception.

<csg>