Re: [ietf-smtp] Compressing SMTP streams

2016-02-01 00:45:11

It's basically a minimal encoding to deal only
with the flaws found in actual NNTP implementations (such as not coping
with nuls and unmatched CR or LF characters) and dot-stuffing, and is
pretty close to not compressing.

Which do you think makes more sense for encapsulating John's CDAT data, something that looks more like BDAT (length indicator), or something that looks more like yEnc ("quoted unprintable")?

My intuition is that something like yEnc will be easier to code and perhaps more robust, at the considerable expense of having to scan for the dot and such. But the yEnc-line encoding could include dot handling. And CPU cost doesn't bother me at all when we're already talking about compression.

<csg>