[ietf-smtp] Discussion of draft-storey-smtp-client-id-01

2016-02-29 15:39:34
Hello,

I would like to talk about an SMTP service extension idea and draft.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-storey-smtp-client-id-01

As written, the extension adds a new SMTP command allowing clients to
indicate an identity in the session.

There are several types of identities already:
  - Connection
  - EHLO
  - AUTH
  - MAIL

This one, called client identity, can be used as the identity of the device
or program, rather than an individual or host.

There could be different types. The identity may be something other than a
hostname.

I look at it as an additional data point about the client in the session.

The reason I think this could be useful is to address one of the
limitations in how authenticated SMTP is often used: Clients typically
present only a username and a password. It would be useful to have more
information to protect against brute force and dictionary type attacks.
Having this data could provide flexibility on what clients to accept
authentication from, and possibly allow controlling access based on this
identity.

I am interested in feedback on this idea and the draft.

I've had feedback that it may be better to combine this command with the
CLIENT command written about in draft-ietf-uta-email-deep-01. I think this
would be possible. I thought I would raise the draft as is for feedback
before making changes.

Thank you for your time.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
www.linuxmagic.com

This email and any electronic data contained are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
they are addressed. Please note that any views or opinions presented
in this email are solely those of the author and are not intended
to represent those of the company.