Re: [ietf-smtp] Address literals

2016-07-31 08:30:03
I asked a similar question about CNAME records about 2 years ago, and
the consensus was that a relaying MTA must not change the recipients
address while the receiver MTA may treat the address any way it pleases.

Yes.  On the other hand, on today's internet, if you get mail sent to
an address literal other than 127.0.0.1, the chances of it being something
you want to deliver are so low that I wouldn't worry about it, and I'd
just reject or discard it.

R's,
John

PS: I was going to say that I might make an exception for status messages
from IoT devices, but anything with enough software to do SUBMIT has enough
software to configure a DNS name.