[ietf-smtp] EAI valid local part characters

2016-09-29 10:21:19
I'm trying to understand what's allowed in the local part of an (unquoted)
internationalized email address.

RFC 6532 extends atext so that in addition to the existing ascii characters -
a-zA-Z0-9!#$%&'*+-/=?^_`{|}~ - it can also contain any UTF8-2, UTF8-3 or UTF8-4
character. That addition includes all non-ASCII utf8 characters, I think.

Does that mean that, for example, whitespace (other than ascii space, 0x20) is
valid in an unquoted email address?

Am I looking at the right RFCs to understand this?

(This seems a reasonable place to ask, given the EAI group has wound down, but
if there's a better place please point me in that direction).

Cheers,
  Steve