Re: [ietf-smtp] [Extra] Fwd: [Ietf-message-headers] Registration update: Content-MD5

2018-10-20 16:19:20
(Sorry for cross posting)

Is there any interest in deprecating use of Content-MD5 for email?

Seems like a lot of effort for no real again.

The few implementations I've seen do interoperate, so AFAIK that's
not a reason for deprecating it.

Of course MD5 isn't cryptographically strong, but it's fine for a checksum,
which is  what RFC 1864 says it is for. (At the time the RFC was written I
argued for extending its use to crypographic applications and in the process
moving the algorithm from the name to the value to provide for algorithm
flexibility, but there wasn't sufficient interest.)

                                Ned

Thank you,
Alexey