Re: [ietf-smtp] Dombox - A Zero Spam Mail System

2019-10-06 19:49:12
On 10/6/19 8:40 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Sunday, 06 October, 2019 10:34 -0400 Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:

Well, at least for this specific proposal, the only place that
it matters whether the name is an IDN is whether the leftmost
facet of the name is not ASCII and therefore requires
encoding.   It won't confuse SMTP clients if other facets of
the name are non-ASCII.
Keith, I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

I'm specifically referring to giri(_at_)dombox(_dot_)org's proposal to signal a MX's willingness to do TLS by putting a prefix (smtps- or starttls-) on the target of an MX record.  One minor complication crops up if the first facet of an IDN requires ASCII encoding. So an SMTP client can't merely look for those prefixes in the MX record target, it has to look for the encoded form of those prefixes also.   A possible fix to make the implementation simpler would be to prepend smtps. or starttls.  (or some other magic token) thus causing that facet of the IDN to not require encoding.

Keith