Re: [ietf-smtp] [OT] (signed TLDs)

2019-10-15 11:52:43
I wish I understood more of this discussion and "basic problem," if any, but in years past, we use to share common "Network" files using dialup, ftp, web, etc. We sort of do it now with the CA-BUNDLE.TXT file for the Intermediate CAs certs. When I build new OpenSSL images, the wcSSL package distribution includes a new ca-bundle.txt file with new CA certs merged. The main bundle is from:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bagder/ca-bundle/master/ca-bundle.crt

In the last update, I merged a bunch of them:

##  07/31/18 01:56 pm
##  - Using MergeCACerts.cmd
## - merge newbundle\ca-bundle-20180626.txt https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bagder/ca-bundle/master/ca-bundle.crt
##  - merge newbundle\AddTrustExternalCARoot.pem   Comodo
##  - merge newbundle\COMODORSAAddTrustCA.pem Comodo
## - merge newbundle\COMODORSAOrganizationValidationSecureServerCA.pem Comodo
##  - merge newbundle\chain.pem  Let's Encrypt
##  - merge newbundle\gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt  GoDaddy
##  - merge newbundle\gd_bundle.crt GoDaddy

But it just dawn on me, should a site like the above domain be trusted as a TTP (Trusted Third Party) CA? The bundle can contain TTP "posers." For that matter, why should the user trust any CA anyway?

--
HLS