Re: [ietf-smtp] Good to see new list, comments about the "purpose"

2020-07-29 14:09:32
On 7/29/2020 12:19 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 7/29/2020 9:08 AM, Michael Peddemors wrote:
I believe this is an opportunity, and the BOF should consider that
the working group's mandate be extended larger than originally
suggested.

As pointed out previously on other threads, having a working group
that covers the whole email core, would enable this working group to
tackle more wide ranging email problems, that are important to the
internet community.

That would be an excellent way to avoid getting the primary task done,
which is to get the two, primary specification elevated to full
standard.  It's a variation on attempting to boil the ocean.

It's not that the larger scope isn't worthy, it's that it isn't
practical.

After the primary task is completed, it might make sense to consider
rechartering, for a scope of the type you suggest.  But not before then.

Dave, I agree with you, keep the eye on the prize, RFC5322/5321 standardization. Very important. I'm sure there will be plenty of "Heads Up" discussions, items that can perhaps be phrased as implementation notes.

--
Hector Santos,
https://secure.santronics.com