Re: [ietf-smtp] G.7.3 --- resolvable FQDNs

2020-08-07 18:58:34
On 8/7/2020 4:44 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
The explicit discussion was that in some non-Internet contexts, the domain
name is not from the DNS.  The discussion was that this (the citing of the
DNS specification, if you like, but actually there is more to it than that),
should go into an applicability statement.

I disagree: it should go into the base specification as a thing that software
should support.  The applicability statement should say "turn it on" when on
the Internet.

It's not clear to me what the 'turn it on' refers to.

It's also not clear why a localized operational choice that deviates from established Internet practice should be baked into the core specification.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking