Re: [ietf-smtp] smtp improvement?

2020-08-14 17:21:39
What problems are you trying to solve with these?  Latency and connection
counts?

The number of connections is inherently much lower with server to server
for MTAs, and when you have consumer to server (MSA), the amount of traffic
is even less.  I know
a lot of places operate with some strict connection limits, but I think
that's more of a weak fair sharing method than due to actual limitations...
or maybe just that many servers haven't needed to move away from the one
process per connection model... which means they also wouldn't be first in
line for handling multiple transactions at once anyways.

Latency?  We see messages transmitted in seconds at our border with other
large providers at least (that's memory from looking a couple times, I
haven't done any deep investigation), and from our own experiences, our
latency isn't usually a question of parallelism.

I don't see the strong need here.

Brandon

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 11:00 AM iloveemail2 <iloveemail2=