Re: [ietf-smtp] spinning our wheels, was Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-email-deliveredto-02.txt

2021-03-01 23:48:13
Hector Santos writes:

For the record, after 25 years, Wildcat! SMTP (or did Wildcat! UUCP) have never needed, nor considered, nor knew existed nor did we looked the "Delivered-To" header.

What problem does it solve?

One problem in definitely solved was detecting mail loop as soon as it's practically possible, without having to wait until a message ping-ponged a bunch of times between servers. You still need to count Received: headers, but most mail loops get broken right away.

Beyond that, it offered mail handling software a means to avoid the need for explicit configuration of their mailbox address. They'll just pick it up from the Delivered-To: header, and run with it. This is much easier than picking apart the bits of the topmost Received: header, looking for the "for", and hoping to find one.