Re: [ietf-smtp] MTS-STS validation when MX host points to a CNAME, violating RFC 2181 § 10.3

2021-04-01 17:38:06
Kristijonas Lukas Bukauskas writes:

* - the domain I have with them for testing purposes.

Viktor Dukhovi and Sam Varshavchik have already provided their detailed viewpoints which will help me a lot to continue working with the support of this sending MTA.

My viewpoints are somewhat dated. The persona-non-grata status of MXs pointing to CNAMEs – that verbiage appears to be new to the current SMTP standard, I checked and did not find any equivalent language in the prior one; so my implementation reflected that.

Be it as it may. I do not see any technical issues with MXs pointing to CNAMEs, except that an additional lookup is required to resolve the CNAME in most cases. If this is not within the scope of the current standard, then I would not set up my domains like that.