Re: [ietf-smtp] Should we update an RFC if people refuse to implement parts of it ?

2021-06-06 13:57:23
It appears that John C Klensin  <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> said:
But, yeah.  The way to address a modest change is with a
modest effort.

And I await a description --other than the errata signpost idea
mentioned above-- as to how to make a change in this area with a
modest effort, presumably one about which IETF consensus can be
asserted but that does not require an I-D, notification of (and
discussion including) as many of those who participated in the
EAI effort as were still interested, IETF Last Call, etc.

One of the things on my long list as sort-of-RFC-editor is a way to do
incremental updates to RFCs, likely with version numbers, so we only have
to reapprove the sections that have changed.

I still don't think it's worth opening up RFC 6531 unless we have a lot more to
change.