Re: [ietf-smtp] ALPN

2021-07-29 13:57:38
It appears that Claus Assmann  <ietf-smtp(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> said:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

In this case, we're talking about whether there is one different ALPN or
four. Either case suffices to protect email servers from being involved in

Since there are already IDs for IMAP and POP3, it seems we are down to
3 (+SMTP) or 4 (+SUBMIT) unless we want to break existing applications?

Given that clients often don't know whether they're talking to an SMTP or a
submission
server, and servers don't know which one they are or maybe both, one ALPN would
be plenty.

It's still pretty common for a server to offer SMTP on port 25, which turns
into submission
if the client authenticates.

R's,
John