Re: [ietf-smtp] Updated draft for "SMTP Response for Detected Spam"

2022-03-30 13:06:58
While there is not anything TECHNICALLY wrong with the concept, the problem is that most people in the threat detection space have already decided NOT to advertise to a potential spammer that they know the message is spam.

And any RFC which says you SHOULD and yet will promptly be ignored, is probably not the best use of time/RFC's.

But for those who DO want to advertise it to the sender, it is good if there is a standard set out, but the RFC should be clear that this is simply a standardization, and NOT a recommendation.

As a company who spends a lot of time doing analysis directly in the SMTP layer, it also opens up a can of worms.

Do we add a code for every use case?

258 Deliver to the Marketing Folder
257 Stripped Attachments before delivery
256 Added your IP to our Blacklist
254 Accepted, but stripping headers

(Poor examples, but helps address my point)

Suggest that for those that want to present additional information, that it simply be textual on the 250 OK. Especially since the same message from a different sending MTA might get a different result, or maybe we only want to help a certain MTA or company get more information, eg an ESP

Hope my feedback is valuable.

On 2022-03-30 10:37, Brotman, Alex wrote:
Hey folks,

I wanted to send an update for this draft.  I received (negative) feedback from
one person via the list, though several outside of the list were supportive.  I
wanted to try to clear up some of the language in the draft.  Appreciate
feedback from those who are interested to read.

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-brotman-srds-01.txt
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-brotman-srds-01

Thanks

--
Alex Brotman
Sr. Engineer, Anti-Abuse & Messaging Policy

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."