Re: [ietf-smtp] email/tools: WG unsubscribe notification

2022-05-18 18:56:50
I expect you would need to code it to mailman as it's a standard mailman
message. There's a lot of questions your ask raises not limited to mailman2 and
the python2 requirement for it that is likely out of scope.

Sent via RFC1925 complaint device

On May 18, 2022, at 7:52 PM, Toerless Eckert <tte(_at_)cs(_dot_)fau(_dot_)de>
wrote:

Dear IETF email team

(As ANIMA WG chair) i just received 31 emails of the type

Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:00:01 -0700
From: mailman-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
To: anima-owner(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

someone(_at_)example(_dot_)com has been removed from Anima. (disabled
address)

I don't remember i have seen this before over the years. If this is a new
feature,
and there was an email explaining it, i must have missed the email or URL
explaining it. Pointer welcome.

This looks like a nice feature to eliminate old junk, except that i am worried
(after the recent incident with my own emails spam filter caused
unsubscription),
how exactly the condition "disabled address" is determined.

In general, i am not a big fan of what is probably intended as a user-friendly
explanation such as "disabled address" without also providing the actual
root cause diagnostic. It ony gives me "Admiral Failure" frustration.

When i sent an email to one of the addresses i did know to be obsolete,
SMTP gave me:

<someone(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>: host mx5.somewhere.com[1xx.xx.xx.xxx]
said: 551
   5.1.1 <someone(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>: Recipient address rejected:
Failed
   recipient validation check.: host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 554 5.7.1

   recipient verify from ldap failed (in reply to RCPT TO command) (in reply

   to RCPT TO command)

I would appreciate if this error indication would also be included in the
"Unsubscribe notification" email, so that we as WG chairs (or other mailing
list owners) can do our best to help finding false positives.

Cheers
   Toerless