ietf-submit

RE: Update to Submit RFC

2003-07-25 10:58:14

If the intent is to uplevel a new protocol to "modern" standards, may I suggest
that submission servers be required to support Binary SMTP?

I believe several of these changes may make this protocol recycle at proposed
standard... do we have multiple interoperable implementations of startTLS and
SASL PLAIN in Submission servers and clients?

Greg V.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Newman [mailto:Chris(_dot_)Newman(_at_)Sun(_dot_)COM]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 4:00 PM
To: ietf-submit(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Update to Submit RFC

RFC 2476 needs an update.  On my short list are:

1. Need to adjust the mandatory wait times for SMTP command responses down
   to reasonable numbers for submission.

2. Make SMTP AUTH (RFC 2554) a MUST.

3. Make STARTTLS + SASL PLAIN (RFC 3207, RFC 2595) the mandatory
   to implement authentication mechanism.

4. Make 8BITMIME a MUST.

5. Update references where appropriate.

Objections?  Any more items for the list?  Randy, do you have any cycles to
work on 2476bis?

                - Chris