Re: Starting the ietf-xml-mime mailing list

1999-04-06 23:37:30
Ned,

Thank you for your comments.

 Freed wrote:

Each application will be documented by some RFC.

This isn't true. The standards say that RFC documentation is only required for
registration in the IETF tree, and in practice none of the many registered
XML-based types have been backed up with RFCs.

I will revise the summary accordingly.  Registration in the IETF tree and
that in the vendor tree are quite different.

Each specialized application will require a new subtype registration,
which takes a lot of time and therefore can have long delays.

This isn't true. Registrations now routinely take only a few days if
they don't contain egregious errors. And we've been known to get them done
in less than a day in some cases.

Is this in the vendor tree?

(3) A new parameter "externalid" for text/xml and application/xml
I'm afraid you've missed the biggest problem with this approach -- one
that makes it almost a complete nonstarter: The lack of ability to dispatch
on parameters in most applications that support MIME.

I will add this fact to the summary.

Cheers,

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata(_at_)apsdc(_dot_)ksp(_dot_)fujixerox(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp