RE: Parameters for top-level XML media types?

1999-04-18 20:15:49
- the version of XML,

Not any more than Postscript 1 and Postscript 2 having separate versions.

- the version of Unicode,

Not for any other text type, why for XML?

- how the Private Use Area (PUA) of Unicode is used
      [Rick Jelliffe wrote: "This also could have bearing on the PUA
      (private use area) character problem, and the problem of corporate
      character sets (e.g. Hong Kong's GCCS)."]

Using Private Use Area in Unicode is tantamount to using a private
charset.

Suggestion:
 a) eliminate text/xml
 b) eliminate 'charset' parameter from application/xml
     The charset is self-identifying. If there is a PUA in use,
     then it must be declared in the head of the XML body.
     Having PUAs in your charset is like having a private use
     font.

- which conversion table (Note: for a given CCS, more than one conversion
  table may exist),
- which schema language is used (DTD or the upcoming schema language
from W3C),
- which stylesheet (XSL, CSS, DSSSL, etc.) is used, and
- other issues mentioned in my mail "List of issues".

Does anybody think that some of them are good enough reasons for introducing
top-level XML media types?  (I am just asking.)

These are good reasons for making sure that this information is
self-identified in the head of the XML body.