Re: Parameters for top-level XML media types?

1999-05-06 04:10:08
Larry Masinter wrote:
Does anybody think that some of them are good enough reasons for
introducing
top-level XML media types?  (I am just asking.)

These are good reasons for making sure that this information is
self-identified in the head of the XML body.

It appears that nobody think parameters  are good enough reasons for
introducing a top-level media type "xml".  Thus, the only possible reason is:

      4. Document-like XML documents can be handled by general-purpose
         XML viewers

I do not think this is a good reason either.  XML browsers only have to
examine the stylesheet PI and then invoke appropriate formatting engines.

Thus, I believe that there is no reason to introduce a top-level media type
"xml".
Have we reached a consensus here?

Suggestion:
 a) eliminate text/xml
 b) eliminate 'charset' parameter from application/xml
     The charset is self-identifying. If there is a PUA in use,
     then it must be declared in the head of the XML body.
     Having PUAs in your charset is like having a private use
     font.

If the charset parameter is not present, we cannot use negotiation
of HTTP 1.1, which is already available.

Cheers,

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata(_at_)apsdc(_dot_)ksp(_dot_)fujixerox(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp