Re: Modest Proposal

1999-05-12 09:08:23

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

If the developers of a particular XML document type want to register a
specific MIME type for it, they go through the normal IETF registration
process using the top-level headers that already exist.  The only
difference is that all document types that use XML as their base format
will be suffixed '-xml'.

This provides for things like:
graphics/svg-xml

There isn't a "graphics" top-level type.

We expect the MIME type for the SVG image format (which is, indeed,
written in xml) to be image/xml.

This is because it is an image format, and we need to do content
negotiation. For stand-alone files, the fact that it happens to be
written in xml is less important than the fact that it is an image.

--
Chris