Re: Introduction of media types for XML DTDs

1999-07-19 09:39:05
John Cowan re Ned Freed:

| > I agree. And I'm sorry, but the argument that "people expect DTDs to be
| > displayed as text" just doesn't wash -- technical experts (who are capable
| > of configuring their agents to do anything they want)'
|
| On the contrary; it is a weakness of current browsers that there
| is no way to tell them "Display such-and-such a media type as
| text/plain in the main window."
|
| > the average user doesn't know diddly about XML or DTD and doesn't want a
| > bunch of incomprehensible stuff displayed on his or her screen.
|
| The average user probably will never fetch a document of type
| */xml-dtd.

I hope that's false.  I hope the average user's user agent will be
fetching DTDs all the time, for use with documents marked up in
accordance with them.  And I hope their browsers don't display
the DTDs to them.

For the case when it is desired to display the DTD, Ned stated that
text/xml was the wrong way to go, and suggested that something else,
such as content-disposition, could be used to cue the user agent to
display as text.  Does any such method work today?

regards, Terry

Terry Allen
Advanced Technology Group
Commerce One, Inc.