RE: MIME types and fragment identifiers in HTML and XML

1999-10-26 19:31:46
I still have fundamental questions.  Do fragments identified by fragment
identifiers have media types?  If so, who specifies the media types?

We're making up things about fragment identifiers. The only existing
ones are the ones that work with HTML, and *those* certainly don't
identify things with media types. If you point at an
<H1><A NAME="ab">This is a heading marked 'ab'</A></H1>, what is
the type of the fragment inside the H1? It's not 'text/html'.

By extension, I don't think fragments have media types. That's why
they're fragments.

You appear to argue that the type info specified by HTML or XML link
constructs may be used to override the media type of an HTML entity.  As
for fragments, are you saying that the type info specified by HTML or XML
link constructs *always* provides the media type?

I don't think fragments can or should have media types. Content-type
media types in MIME are for identifying the application semantics
intended by an entire message body, and not for denoting anything
about the types of components of that body.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter