Re: Fwd: request for application/smil

2000-01-18 03:30:26
Murata,

I was very much aware of your draft. In fact, it has
already been proposed to adopt it when reviewing this registration
on www-smil
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-smil/1999OctDec/0015.html

However, the use of "application/smil" predates the proposal of
appending "-xml" to XML-based MIME types by more than a year - I think
the first Internet draft dates from April '98. The proposal has
already been succesfully reviewed in the past on ietf-types,
but somebody dropped the ball bringing it to the IESG. Given
this history, and that there is an installed base, it seems reasonable
to stick with the current practice of using "application/smil".

-Philipp

MURATA Makoto a écrit :

This message was originally sent to ietf-types(_at_)iana(_dot_)org and
www-smil(_at_)w3(_dot_)org(_dot_)
Since the proposed media type for SMIL is an XML-based media type, I am
forwarding this message to this list.

For SMIL-unaware recipients to use XML-generic application programs for
SMIL data, application/smil-xml would be better than application/xmil, as
I see it.  More about this issue, see Section 6 of a recently-published I-D
for
XML media types, which is available at:

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murata-xml-02.txt

Philipp Hoschka wrote:
Please review

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoschka-smil-media-type-04.txt

Note that this had already been reviewed at the end of 1998, but
it has not been submitted to the IESG afterwards for consideration
as informational RFC. Since there have been minor changes, I guess
it's better to go through another 2 week review on ietf-types.

-Philipp Hoschka, W3C

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata(_dot_)makoto(_at_)fujixerox(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp