RE: reason for application/iotp-xml (was RE: Registration of MIME med ia type APPLICATION/IOTP)

2000-03-10 15:19:45
I am cross-posting to ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org because Keith correctly
points out
that <http://www.normos.org/ietf/draft/draft-murata-xml-02.txt> raises
fundamental architectural questions regarding the right way to integrate XML
and MIME.  Those issues have been discussed on ietf-xml-mime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
and I
believe a rough consensus was achieved, but the purpose of this thread is to
try to confirm that.

why?  is there really much value in a default treatment of text/* xml
documents as plain text?  (the default doesn't seem to work well in
practice for text/html) or is xml really likely to be used for
image/*, audio/*, video/*, or model/* content?

how do you figure that?  such categorization is the primary purpose of
top-level types.  and while I grant that XML could be used to represent
images, audio, or video...it does not seem well-suited as a presentation
layer for these.

Keith, I think this may be the crux of the disagreement.  For the "-xml"
suffix to make sense, I think it must be likely that XML structure data will
show up in multiple MIME top-level types AND that that data could be
generically processed in a useful way.  Those two constraints would imply
that XML is acting fundamentally as the presentation layer in the network
stack (apologies for obligatory OSI network stack reference), and that that
presentation information should be available to dispatchers that can make
use if it.

The fact that almost all subtypes based on XML can be generically processed
is addressed in the I-D and excerpted in my message, which I attach below.

As to whether subtypes based on XML belong in different top-level type, I
believe the following examples demonstrate that XML-based data types will
most likely be registered in ALL top-level categories:

Application/*:
IOTP
<http://www.normos.org/ietf/draft/draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-07.txt

RDF <http://www.w3.org/RDF/>
MathML <http://www.w3.org/Math/>

Audio/*:
Nothing yet, but don't rule out VXML <http://www.vxml.org/> or a derivative
SMIL is also a possibility <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/>.  Also, note that
XML modularization <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/> makes it
quite likely that new XML subtypes will be created that serve specific
needs, and encoding binary audio information is completely feasible.

Video/*:
SMIL and/or a derivative could be registered here or in Application/*
<http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo>

Model/*:
UML <http://www.omg.org/uml/> (may be under Application/*)
If VRML were being started from scratch today it would likely be built in
XML.  See <http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/dbwork/vrmlxml.html> for some
integration discussion.

Image/*:
SVG <http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/>

Text/*:
XHTML <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/>, though this is better under
Application/*

                - dan
--
Daniel Kohn <mailto:dan(_at_)dankohn(_dot_)com>
tel:+1-425-602-6222  fax:+1-425-602-6223