Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

2000-03-15 09:40:08
In message "Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376",
Chris Lilley wrote...

I have come to believe that taking an out of band solution which sort of
works for text/* over HTTP and email, and trying to extend it to
application/* and image/* and video/* and ftp and file and other sorts of
protocol - to make it fit all cases - has some very clear problems in
extremely common use cases. Like the fact that 99.999% of content providers
have no control over the configuration of the web server they use, but do
have control of the content that they place there.

Appache allows content provides to take control by writing .htaccess.
IIS 4.0 and later allows users to provide the charset parameter
by using the file type menu.  Do you have any evidence for your claim
"99.999%"?  In my understanding, WWW servers are making progress
in supporting the charset parameter.

----
MURATA Makoto  muraw3c(_at_)attglobal(_dot_)net