Re: Some text that may be useful for the update of RFC 2376

2000-03-15 18:46:06
[Tim Bray]
<surprised>Hold on a second!  I just went and read RFC 2046, section
4.1.2, and it seems to me that the US-ASCII default is only compulsory
for text/plain!  I quote the text:

Yes, but: with the two-level hierarchy of MIME media types, it's expected
that a processor that doesn't understand text/foo can fall back to
processing an entity as text/plain.  So while text/xml can have any or no
default, we have to consider the case of a non-XML-aware processor
(possibly including a transcoder) handling it as text/plain, which includes
a default encoding of US-ASCII.

-Chris

--
Christopher R. Maden, Solutions Architect
Yomu (formerly Exemplary Technologies)