Re: Finishing the XML-tagging discussion

2000-03-17 03:19:38
At 21:39 16.03.00 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
I'm pretty sure the answer to #1 is "no".  However, my intuition is that
the answer to #2 is "yes".  I don't have an opinion on #3.  The code isn't
that hard to write.  But should a MIME hander have to care?
one nice thing about this solution is that it *requires no standard action*.
Anyone can implement this any time they want to, or not, as they choose.
If they don't do it, they are no worse off than before; if they do it, it's their headache.

(btw, the failure mode most likely is a document that says

<XML i-am-a-document-metadata-dtd>
lots of gory header-like stuff
</XML>
real content goes here)

             Harald

Harald(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)edb(_dot_)maxware(_dot_)no