foo/bar and foo/bar-xml

2000-03-21 10:19:25
At 12:12 PM 3/21/00 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
I certainly agree that foo/bar and foo/bar-xml should not both exist if
they are synonymous.  But if the VRML folks find it necessary to abandon
the name VRML, that ought not to be driven by the adoption of a new
syntax internally.

I think this isn't as off-topic as it sounds.  X3D is *not* just a
restatement of VRML in XML syntax, so it really is a new kind of thing
with a new media type.  In fact, the notion of taking an existing
vocabulary and making no changes to it aside from XML syntax strikes
me as a rare and unusual thing; thus one of the things I *don't* worry
about is the coexistence of foo/bar and foo/bar-xml.

Is XHTML an exception?  I don't think so - the differences between XHTML
and what you can get away with in text/html run surprisingly deep. -Tim

PS: See?  I changed the subject line!  Wow.