RE: Conformance value of "+xml"?

2000-09-20 23:06:07
I believe the guarantee you are looking for is in the last sentence of the
last paragraph of Section 7:

   The registration process for these media types is described in
   [RFC2048]. The registrar for the IETF tree will encourage new
   XML-based media type registrations in the IETF tree to follow this
   guideline. Registrars for other trees SHOULD follow this convention
   in order to ensure maximum interoperability of their XML-based
   documents. Similarly, media subtypes that do not represent XML
   entities MUST NOT be allowed to register with a '+xml' suffix.

MIME types with a +xml label are XML.  Stated in the negative (i.e., the
contrapositive), it is violation of the spec to send +xml MIME objects that
are not XML.  Note though, that not all XML MIME types are required to use a
+xml label (see Section A15).

That is the main reason for the SHOULDs.  Secondarily, certain registrations
may have additional or slightly different concerns, so it didn't seem
reasonable to constrain them to the identical registration language that we
used.

The concern with fragment identifiers was that certain media types developed
before the XLink spec (I remember SVG being mentioned), might not confirm to
the later linking spec.  If all it takes to conform to the linking spec is
to be valid XML, than by definition all +xml media types do so, so there's
no problem with the current draft.  If something extra is required, than the
SHOULD language is appropriate since some media types may not do so, so
there's still no problem with the current draft.

Let me close by quoting the RFC 2119 definitions for MUST and SHOULD, to
point out that the distance between them is really quite large.  We worked
hard to only use MUST when interoperability guarantees demanded it:

1. MUST   This word, or the terms "REQUIRED" or "SHALL", mean that the
   definition is an absolute requirement of the specification.

3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

Thanks for the note on the email address, which we'll ask the IESG to fix in
their note to the RFC editor, if they approve the draft when it finishes
last call on 2000-09-27.

                - dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan(_at_)dankohn(_dot_)com>
<http://www.dankohn.com>  <tel:+1-650-327-2600>