Re: Please review ietf-draft of the "application/soap+xml" media type

2003-04-18 14:11:20

I think this is on the whole just fine.  The sentence referenced below is
(a) a run on sentence and (b) seems to imply that the media type is only
useable in the context of a SOAP binding.  Isn't this a bit like saying
that image/gif is only a useful media type if you have a GIF viewer
application in mind?  It seems to me that the reference to SOAP bindings
might be included as informative, but the media type is appropriate any
time something is intended to be a SOAP envelope.  That could include one
queued in a database, set out in a buffer or whatever.  Using this media
type says:  this data is interpretable as a serialized SOAP envelope.

<original>
This specification defines the media type "application/soap+xml" which can
be used to identify SOAP messages serialized with XML 1.0 carried in MIME
or MIME like protocols that support the concept of media types for which a
SOAP binding has been defined.
</original>

<proposedShort>
This specification defines the media type "application/soap+xml" which can
be used to identify SOAP message envelopes that have been serialized with
XML 1.0.
</proposedShort>

<proposedLonger>
This specification defines the media type "application/soap+xml" which can
be used to identify SOAP message envelopes that have been serialized with
XML 1.0.    Such serializations are useful as the basis "wire formats" for
SOAP 1.2 Protocol Binding Specifications [ref to SOAP part 1 Section 4],
or in other situations where an XML serialization of a SOAP envelope is
required.
</proposedLonger>

I didn't mention MIME protocols as I assumed that the useability with MIME
is implicit in defining any media type.  If not, one could put that back
in too.  Thank you.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142