Fw: Re: XML media types, charset, TAG findings

2004-10-07 18:48:33

Forwarded by MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)
<EB2M-MRT(_at_)asahi-net(_dot_)or(_dot_)jp>
From:    Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net>
To:      Chris Lilley <chris(_at_)w3(_dot_)org>
Date:    Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:49:32 +0200
Subject: Re: XML media types, charset, TAG findings
----

* Chris Lilley wrote:
My preference would be to not have a redundant charset parameter, since
that would remove the ambiguity. However, I realize that people are
uncomfortable with that and thus propose this solution.

It seems to me that the only difference between requiring applications
to ignore the charset parameter (regardless of whether it is allowed or
not) and your proposal is that with your proposal applications would be
required to report conflicts in some yet unknown way. I am not sure why
anyone would be more comfortable with your proposal as I do not think
that they are uncomfortable with that due to lack of error reporting.

Consistent means that the encoding determined by
F Autodetection of Character Encodings (Non-Normative)
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-guessing

is either the same as the value of the charset pArameter, or the charset
parameter is not provided.

That's still not clear to me; are e.g. "l1" and "iso-8859-1" "the same"?