RE: Comments on new draft of 3023bis

2005-02-24 07:55:11

I'm not 100% certain of my position, but I tend to
agree with Makoto here.

When talking about something as potentially ubiquitous
as fragment identifiers in URI references to XML resources,
I'd rather restrict them to something relatively simple
that we can be sure will work interoperably.

I would not like someone to think they can use the xpointer
scheme because it happens to work with their particular tool
set only to find out that it doesn't work when they send it
to someone else with a different tool set.

I realize the xpointer framework defines how to give a single
multi-schemed xpointer that provides fallbacks, and this is
supposed to allow someone to (try to) use, say, the xpointer
scheme but then fallback to the element scheme.  But in
practice, many people will just use the single scheme that
works for them, and we'll be back in the non-interoperable
situation quickly.

I guess I see no reason to revise 3023 "every time a new
xpointer scheme is blessed."  I don't want new xpointer
schemes getting blessed by 3023.  I want a relatively
simple fragment identifier for XML, and I don't really
want it to keep growing.  We're talking about something
that needs to be processed every time someone clicks on
a URI that references an XML resource, and we don't need
complexity here.  [Disclosure:  I have always been opposed
to the xpointer scheme from day 1 of the XLink WG.]

paul [speaking only for myself]