Re: Protocol Action: 'The Standard Hexdump Format' to Proposed Standard

2005-03-25 06:30:37

On Thursday, March 24, 2005, 7:39:13 PM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> * The IESG wrote:
The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Standard Hexdump Format '
  <draft-strombergson-shf-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

BH> Hmm,

BH> [...]
BH>   Required parameters: charset

BH>   This parameter must exist and must be set to "UTF-8".  No other
BH>   character sets are allowed for transporting SHF data.  The character
BH>   set designator MUST be uppercase.
BH> [...]
BH> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-strombergson-shf-06.txt

BH> So we now have

BH>   * no charset parameter (e.g., application/vnd.pwg-xhtml-print+xml)
BH>   * optional charset parameter (e.g., application/xhtml+xml)
BH>   * required charset parameter (e.g., application/shf+xml)

Yes, given that this is not a text/* type, if the format allows only a
single encoding, I can't see what purpose the charset parameter serves.

Except, perhaps, to force failure if the content is erroneously sent as
UTF-16.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris(_at_)w3(_dot_)org
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group