Re: Reg. TCP/IP error response

2000-01-24 01:10:02
At 19:48 23.01.00 -0600, Murali K Viswanathan wrote:

Hi Guys,
I had sent a question to the group some time back, but unfortunately for
me it got drowned in the discussion that was occuring then. So I am
presenting my question again hoping to find favor with someone who could
answer these.

what does the TCP standard say about response to frames received in error?

what do you mean by "received in error"?
Datagrams with incorrect checksums are usually discarded at the link layer.
Datagrams with incorrect header checksums are discarded.
Datagrams with sequence numbers before the current position are discarded.
Datagrams with sequence numbers after the current position are fairly well discussed in the RFC.

1. Is the packet just discarded?
2. Is a duplicate acknowledgmenet sent for the previous frame?
3. Or maybe it depends on individual implementations?

Get your question straight, and the answer may become obvious.

                        Harald
Harald(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)edb(_dot_)maxware(_dot_)no