product tags, vendor information in Internet protocols

2000-02-15 14:40:02
A number of protocols/services expose product tags describing
the vendor implementation for a variety purposes.  These tags
generally include the "vendor" and some "version" information
and are often used by protocol peers to alter behavior.  In some
cases, like HTTP (RFC 2616), they may include vendor/version
information of subsystems.

I am looking for references to technical specifications,
considerations, and discussions concerning the use of product
tags in Internet protocols.  I would also be interested in
any published materials describing operational experience
using (or abusing) such information.

Please note that this message is not intended to start a
discussion or debate concerning the use (       or abuse) of product
tags, we've likely "been there, done that".  So, please, just
references to existing works.

Regards, Kurt