Re: Proposed working group: IP Storage

2000-02-23 08:10:02
At 10:57 23.02.00 +0000, Lloyd Wood wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Costa Sapuntzakis wrote:

> Announcement of IP Storage (IPS) proposed working group

> * A standard, interoperable, high-performance, reliable transport
>   protocol for SCSI over IP is needed.

I have one question here.

Why?

Because 100 m Cat5 cabling is cheaper than 5 m of current SCSI cabling?

My personal worry is the set of failure modes that can occur when someone uses Mobile-IP to move his PC to his GSM phone in his car, while the disk remains at the office, and similar absurdities that people *will* try to do.

BTW, SCSI is used for lots more things than storage - my favourite application was the one that used SCSI to control a laser rangefinder....

                   Harald

Harald(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)edb(_dot_)maxware(_dot_)no