Re: Who is interested in wireless cards for the Adelaide IETF meeting?

2000-03-03 21:20:01
In message <01JMLW0UBEE0000L37(_at_)MAUVE(_dot_)INNOSOFT(_dot_)COM>,
ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com writ
es:

This is the same card as an Apple Airport. It is 802.11 DS, 11Mbps, and
supports Wire Equivalent Privacy (WEP). The idea here is that you need a key
get on the network, but once you're on you can see all the traffic "on the
wire" that you care to. The Apple softare only lets you set a 40 bit key
(actually what you do is enter a passphrase that is hashed down to 40 bits),
but I believe a 64 bit key is supported by the underlying hardware. I don't
know what the underlying crypto is -- probably DES, which of course means
the key length is really only 56 bits...

It's RC4, so the key length can be any integral number of bytes.

                --Steve Bellovin