Plugging in Down Under

2000-03-05 14:00:02

A surprising number of attendees of the Oslo IETF came without the proper
power adapter plug. This is a reminder that Australia uses yet another
style of plug. The blades are similar to the US or Japanese plug but set
at an angle in an inverted "V" arrangement (with a third ground blade
below the inverted V should you care). The official voltage is 240 at
50Hz, and they had the sense to adapt PAL as the TV standard, A4 paper
and a semi-proper version of English :-)

By popular demand, I will be bringing a number of "Purple Power Monsters"
also know as Sascom Super adapters, that will let you plug into any power
outlet in the world more or less, see:

http://home.catv.ne.jp/dd/norihiro/benri/sasukomu/sasukomu.html

...but not enough for everyone. Thus, I'd suggest you get your adapter
before getting on the plane for Australia. Yes, I am sure you can buy
the adapter in Adelaide, but they may sell out like they did in Oslo.

If you need to connect to telephone network, Australia has its own
telephone connector too of course (although I suspect that major hotels
may have the familar "data port" on the side of the phone).

Most of what you need is available from online suppliers like Magellans
and others.

Have fun, and don't forget to bring back som Kangaroo Jerky for your
friends.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems, Office of the CTO
Tel: +1 408-527-8972
e-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com

* See you at INET 2000, Yokohama, Japan July 18-21
  http://www.isoc.org/inet2000