A thought about patents

2000-03-30 15:30:02
As many of us are finding, it seems to become more and more difficult to develop or implement a standard without tripping over somebody-or-other's patent for some piece of technology that many of us would regard as fairly obvious or lacking in novelty.

The recent announcement from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office about overhauling their scrutiny of applications for online business patents seems to imply a tacit acknowledgement that their is a problem with the review process with respect to discovery or prior art or determination of novelty in a claimed invention.

My thought is this: I'd like to see a presumption of lack of novelty if an idea gets raised in a public forum, even if it happens _after_ a patent has been applied for, unless it can be shown that the information came from leakage of proprietary information.

Maybe such an approach might ameliorate the "gold rush" mentality to be the first to slap a patent on an idea or technique that is coming to be accepted art in the normal process of technology evolution.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK(_at_)ACM(_dot_)ORG)