RE: recommendation against publication of draft-cerpa-necp-0

2000-04-07 12:00:04

1. an Internet service provider which deliberately intercepts traffic
(say, an IP packet) which was intended for one address or service,
and delivers it to another address or service (say that of an
interception
proxy) may be misrepresenting the service it provides (it's not really
providing IP datagram delivery service because IP doesn't work this way).

Okay, I think I see the mistake you're making. You're crossing
abstraction layers and conflating two different things (the name of
a service with the end point of the connection to that service). You
are criticizing the moving of an endpoint when what you really
object to is the misrepresentation of a service. Or do you also
object to HTTP redirects, dynamic URL rewriting, CNAMEs, telephone
Call Forwarding, or post office redirecting of mail after you move?

I think we are confusing the issue here.  Earlier in this thread I found the
following written by Keith Moore:

2. A primary purpose of the NECP protocol appears to be to
facilitate the operation of so-called interception proxies.  Such
proxies violate the Internet Protocol in several ways:

(1) they redirect traffic to a destination other than the one
specified in the IP header,

(2) they impersonate other IP hosts by using those hosts' IP addresses
as source addresses in traffic they generate,
(3) for some interception proxies, traffic which is passed on to the
destination host, is modified in transit, and any packet-level
checksums are regenerated.

Regardless of what occurs at higher layers, there is still the problem of
changing the source address in an IP packet which occurs at the network(IP)
layer.

Michael B. Bellopede
Michael(_dot_)CTR(_dot_)Bellopede(_at_)tc(_dot_)faa(_dot_)gov
"There is no spoon."