Re: rfc-editor?

2000-04-11 18:20:02
I found the following in rfc2028..

2.1  The Request for Comments Editor

   The RFC publication series [B] is managed by an Editor (which may in
   practice be one or more individuals) responsible both for the
   mechanics of RFC publication and for upholding the traditionally
   high technical and editorial standards of the RFC series.

   The functions of the RFC Editor are performed by one or more
   individuals or organizations selected in accordance with the
   procedures defined by the RFC Editor charter [G].

And [G] is simply..

   [G] RFC Editor Charter, Work in Progress.

..and perusal with various search engines/tools yields no further information
about "RFC Editor Charter", and rfc2028 was written in late 1996.

randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com said:
brought to you by most of the same folk it has been for years

Well, uh, besides Joyce Reynolds, I'm curious as to who all are actively
contributing to that role. Is it folks on the IAB? Is it folks at IANA (and,
uh, who zactly these days is affiliated with IANA besides the well-known
board? who're the doers?)? Is it just anybody at ISI? Is it part of being on
the IESG being an AD? Is it WG chairs? Who gets to decide?

How is it presently decided who may participate in acting in the RFC-Editor
role?

I'm just sorta curious cuz it seems to be an opaque object in the otherwise
fairly well-defined works (of the IETF et al).

thanks,

JeffH