RE: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

2000-04-24 15:10:03
    > making each house a TLA does not strike me as a scalable multihoming
    > solution for very large numbers of houses, given the current state of
    > the routing art.

The restriction has little to do with the current state of the routing art
(which is not to say that better path-selection architectures than the one
the Internet is currently using do not exist :-).

Even with the best routing system, it still couldn't support tracking large
numbers of houses as individual destinations (i.e. having individual routing
tables extries across the global scope) - even if the routers had large
enough route table memories to hold the 100's of millions of routes which
could result.

I should probably just go back to lurking, but ... my take on every
house being multihomed was to imagine full local meshing - each house
peering with its neighbors redundantly.  If, say, my power-line port
was down, that information needn't be known by anything outside my own
neighborhood.  When the local power distribution center couldn't get a
power-grid packet to me directly, they'd give it to my neighbor and
let his smart house determine whether to send it to mine by wireless
or cable or whatever else has come along.  The rest of the world could
just engage in some kind of "get it closer" routing.

Don't ask me about mobile users.  I'm going back to lurking ...

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY