RE: How many IP addresses?

2000-04-25 09:10:05
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Michael B. Bellopede wrote:

wrong idea -- big iron routers don't use "code" to do forwarding, they use
silicon, and very fast silicon at that.  There are routers in production
               --Steve Bellovin

Software, firmware, its a matter of semantics.  Do you think that silicon
magically performs routing and logical functions.  Hmmm...

Uh, "hardware" != "EEPROM + CPU" here. "hardware" == "custom routing
ASICs". In the "no options, entry in cache" scenario Steve mentions, the
processor "don't enter into it", as it all goes through the raw silicon.

Think gates. Not bill gates, logic gates.

--
   Tripp Lilley  *  tripp(_at_)perspex(_dot_)com  *
http://stargate.sg505.net/~tlilley/

   - John Lovitz, A Yellow Pages commercial